[R-sig-Geo] R: starting with Rmap

Millo Giovanni Giovanni_Millo at Generali.com
Mon May 14 14:53:29 CEST 2007

Hello. May I suggest you try 'maptools' as well? I suspect it could be a
little more newbie-friendly (but I'm not sure, as being forced to stick
to Windows I never really checked Rmap out).

For now you should be able to get what you want in a relatively short
time. See
?read.shape
?plot.Map
but if you are serious on it, take heed plot.Map is currently
'deprecated' so it won't be there in the future.

You can then add text via low-level functions, see ?text.

good luck!
Giovanni

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 11:16:22 +0200
From: Laurence Amilhat <Laurence.Amilhat at toulouse.inra.fr>
Subject: [R-sig-Geo] starting with Rmap
To: R-sig-Geo at stat.math.ethz.ch

Hello,

I am a beginner in R programming, so sorry for the low level of this
post...

I would like to create a Europe map and plot some Informations on it,
using lat/long coordinates.
I've seen the Rmap project, which seems to do what I want.
The thing is that I can't get started.
I download the packages: maps, mapdata, spmaps, shapefiles
I have a text file for the europe continent downloaded from the World
data bank, but I don't know how to create a database that can be used by

Rmap.
So I tried with shapefiles, I have a shapefile for Europe, as is it
noticed in the tutorial http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/Software/Rmap/
i tried:
 >europe <- shapefile("europe.shp")
Erreur : impossible de trouver la fonction "shapefiles"
= The function shapefile was not found.

Do someone have an idea on what I am doing wrong, or know a good
tutorial that can be helpfull for what I what to do.

Many thanks,

Laurence Amihat

Giovanni Millo
Research Dept.,
Assicurazioni Generali SpA
Via Machiavelli 4,
34131 Trieste (Italy)
tel. +39 040 671184
fax  +39 040 671160

Ai sensi del D.Lgs. 196/2003 si precisa che le informazioni ...{{dropped}}