[R-sig-Geo] geocoding street addresses

Matthew Perry perrygeo at gmail.com
Mon May 7 20:46:02 CEST 2007

On 5/6/07, Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:
> This approach is also documented in Hack 80, pp. 403-408, in Erle, Gibson
> and Walsh (2005) Mapping Hacks, O'Reilly. The hack shows how to ask for
> multiple points, and how to (try to) disambiguate multiple replies to a
> single query. Sadly, geocoding outside the US is far more difficult.

You may also want to consider using one of the other major geocoding
engines if their terms of use fit your needs. I know the Yahoo
geocoder has decent (though far from perfect) geocoding globally.

Another solution might be to use the python library geopy
(http://exogen.case.edu/projects/geopy/) which provides a consistent
api on top of the major geocoding services.

--
Matthew T. Perry
http://www.perrygeo.net

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes
the existing model obsolete" - R. Buckminster Fuller