[R-sig-Geo] no plots into viewport

Michal Gallay mgallay01 at Queens-Belfast.AC.UK
Wed May 2 20:54:27 CEST 2007

On May 2 2007, Roger Bivand wrote:

> On 2 May 2007, Michal Gallay wrote:
>
> > Dear R Users,
> >
> > could anyone help me and explain why no plot with 'plot'function is
> > plotted in the viewport, but as a single plot on the next page?
> >
> > grid.text() works, but neither xyplot() nor plot() do.
> >
> > library(graphics)
> > library(grid)
> > library(lattice)
> >
> > top.vp <- viewport(layout = grid.layout(1,2))
> > vp.plot1 <- viewport(layout.pos.col=1,layout.pos.row=1, name="vp.plot1")
> > vp.plot2 <- viewport(layout.pos.col=2,layout.pos.row=1, name="vp.plot2")
> > splot <- vpTree(top.vp, vpList(vp.plot1, vp.plot2))
> >
> > pushViewport(splot)
> > seekViewport("vp.plot1")
> > grid.text("plot1 should be here")
> > plot <- xyplot(1:10~1:10)
> > print(plot)
> >
> > Thank you very much for advice.
>
> Since the density of experienced lattice graphics users on this list
> doesn't seem to be high - you didn't get any reply to your similarly
> careful question a couple of days ago - perhaps you should ask on the R
> help list? I see that:
>
> pushViewport(splot)
> seekViewport("vp.plot1")
> grid.text("plot1 should be here")
> seekViewport("vp.plot2")
> grid.text("plot2 should be here")
>
> seems to put the device into two-column mode, but xyplot over-rides the
> viewport set-up.
>
> Roger

Thanks very much Roger,

yes, as Gabor suggested to add 'newpage=FALSE' was the small thing I was
missing.

Best wishes to all

Michal

--
Michal Gallay

Postgraduate Research Student
School of Geography, Archaeology and Palaeoecology
Queen's University
Belfast BT7 1NN
Northern Ireland

Tel: +44(0)2890 273929