[R-sig-Geo] agenda for R's Geo capabilities?

Tim Keitt tkeitt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 21:14:17 CET 2007

I agree GEOS support would be welcome. I'd be happy to help out if
anyone takes this on.

I've been thinking of a possibly quicker (devel time) solution lately
since I've been using PostGIS a lot. One could have a postgis package
that copies 'sp' object into postgis and then provides postgis
function equivalents that operate on the R proxy objects.

pgobj1 <- new('PostGISGeom', my.spatial.polygons)
pgobj2 <- somePostGISOp(pgobj1, ...)

res.spatial.polygons <- PGObj2SPObj(pgobj2)  # or 'as' generic

The pgobj? objects could be first class 'sp' members if it is possible
to subclass the 'sp' geometry classes -- may not be possible as I
don't think you can overload the S4 slot call.

THK