[R-sig-Geo] agenda for R's Geo capabilities?

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Fri Mar 16 19:40:24 CET 2007

> My OSGeo summer of code idea is to link the BGL to postgis. I wasn't
> originally thinking about topology per se, but it would achieve much the
> same thing.

I've thought a bit about this project, too, as it butts up against some of
my own work.

My experience with graph libraries has not been altogether positive.  ;)
They are rather difficult to coerce into handling very large data sets.

I think it would be handy to have a layer to pump graph data through BGL
into a postgis store.  It would be even better if that postgis store
looked something similar to the store used as a backend by the
Redland/Raptor xml graph serialization bits.  :-)  Just a suggestion for a
place to start.... I know the redland/raptor bits are extremely
scale-friendly for attributed graph data.

--elijah