[R-sig-Geo] Which organizations use R for geographic processing?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Mar 6 19:42:19 CET 2007

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Tim Keitt wrote:

> Sounds like a good wiki-page. Is there a wiki for r-sig-geo?

No, no wiki. The R-geo site is maintained by me on a remotely editable
site, works pretty well, and material can be added if sent to me, but not
otherwise (we are grateful guests there). The mailing list isn't bad,
being searchable in the R search engines and gmane.

If the underlying question is about the software used for geographic data
handling, then the answer is that it is largely OSGeo.org (PROJ.4,
GDAL/OGR, and as an interface GRASS), so that organisations using these
libraries effectively use the same implementations (conditional on the
bindings to the libraries being OK, of course). GDAL (pronounced goodle)
is very widely used, including by GIS software companies (some notes on
the OSGeo.org website, and on: http://www.gdal.org/credits.html.

Roger