[R-sig-Geo] Directional statistics and weighted mean directions

Takatsugu Kobayashi tkobayas at indiana.edu
Mon Mar 5 05:15:31 CET 2007

R users:

This is more of a general question.

I am trying to conduct hypothesis testing about the difference of two
angles extending from the same point. I am reading directional
statistics by Mardia, but it seems to talk about only frequency
distribution on the circumference drawn by the unit length vector. My
problem involves the weighted mean direction. Weighted by which I mean
is that the unit vectors are weighted by the frequencies attached to the
census zones. Have anyone known good textbooks and R packages to do
directional statistics?

Thank you very much

Taka