[R-sig-Geo] Build hexagonal lattice coverage

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Sun Mar 4 03:13:43 CET 2007

Hi Tim,
If you look in the hexbin code (eeek) you will realize that hexbin just
creates
a regular latttice of points, and the hexagons are implicit. Actually
the storage is even more compact, the hexagons are integers and
everything
is derived from the limits. The algorithm is explained in the vignette.
For a regular lattice the topology is very simple, so I don't think it
is really worth storing anything but the hexagon centers.

If you are doing grid like operations on hexagonal lattices, as long
as the lattices are the same, you still don't need the topology. You
could
even store two offset square grids and get the hexagons, provided your
lattice
is not rotated. You can also look at the package diamonds, Dennis White
may have something
to add, if he is lurking around on the list.

Nicholas