[R-sig-Geo] newbie sp question

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Jun 17 18:25:42 CEST 2007

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007, David Hugh-Jones wrote:

> Thank you for this help. I realised after writing this that indeed,
> spatstat won't work because I have world-scale data in unprojected
> latitude/longitude form... so my distance measure is no use. This
> leads to more questions
>
> - is there a canonical way to convert projections from within "sp"? My
> current thought is to get the raw data out and use "mapproj".

The spTransform() methods in rgdal.

> - when that's done, is there a function to measure great circle distance?

Well, if your data are world data, you probably want to work in great
circle distances directly, which you can get from spDistsN1 from a matrix
of points to a single point.

> - would the algorithm "measure distance between all points of A and
> all lines of B, then the same with A and B reversed, and take the
> minimum", still work? I can't see why not but my intuition is not
> clear.

With GC distances, point to line is much harder. You may be obliged to use
point to point, which will be symmetric, but is an approximation of line
to line. If the differences may matter badly, you'll need to interpolate
points and add them to long straight segments.

It may also be worth asking on the PostGIS list whether you could upload
your geometries to PostGIS and have GEOS do the measurement - if you have
access to the software and experience with it. It may be that it can
handle geographical coordinates.

Best wishes,

Roger