[R-sig-Geo] writeOGR KML question

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Jun 14 08:51:57 CEST 2007

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, Bob Sutherland wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I read in polygon shape file and write the KML for GE using the writeOGR
> function
>
> tmpshpPoly<-readShapePoly("tmpshp",IDvar="AKUCU83_",
> proj4string=CRS("+proj=longlat"))
>
> writeOGR(tmpshpPoly, "test2.kml", "Location","KML")
>
> In the test2.kml file I'd also like to include a name for each polygon and
> some polygon shading.  I can edit the shape file and place or edit the tags
> but for this to work as we desire, I'd want to write the <name> tag with the
> tmpshpPoly$loc field.  I'd also like to color the polygon with a
> categorization of the tmpshpPoly$nAnimals field.  The categorization is
> easy.
>
> I am unable to write the <name> tag within the Placemark tag for each
> polygon.  I am also unable to alter the
> <PolyStyle><fill>0</fill></PolyStyle> fill color to an appropriate color.
> If you have suggestions I would be most appreciative.

The underlying driver is an OGR driver, and can only do as much or as
little as OGR permits. If you are on Windows (please _always_ state
platform, R and package versions from for example sessionInfo()), and have
the latest rgdal, you have GDAL 1.4.1 code, that is the most recent
release.

http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_kml.html

says:

"OGR has limited support for KML writing"

and there is no way to add the information you are interested in.

Could I suggest an alternative route, using the maptools functions:
GE_SpatialGrid and kmlOverlay, which use the png() graphics device to
write an image overlay of whatever you plot - so adding polygon fills, or
labels, becomes as simple as plotting? Please see the GE_SpatialGrid help
page.

Roger