[R-sig-Geo] Issue reading ESRI polygon shapefiles with PBSMapping 'importShapefile'

Rick Reeves reeves at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Jun 12 22:49:42 CEST 2007

Hello,

Using R 2.5.0 with  PBSmapping package version 2.09:

When I try to read in a polygon shapefile (eight polygons, the file was
written by the
Feature Class to Shapefile command in ArcMap GIS 9.2) using the command:

importShapefile("TriCountyPolyDD")

The following error occurs:

Error in x[[jj]][iseq] <- vjj : incompatible types (from NULL to
integer) in subassignment type fix

Using read.shape on the same file yields

 > TriCounty <-read.shape("TriCountyPolyDD.shp")
Shapefile type: Polygon, (5), # of Shapes: 8

Yet I wish to work with this shapefile using the PBSmapping tools.

Has anyone else encountered and/or repaired this?
Plan B would be to convert the Map object TriCounty into
a PolySet or PolyData used by PBSmapping package, but
so far I have not worked this out. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rick Reeves
NCEAS / UC Santa Barbara

--
Rick Reeves