[R-sig-Geo] Internal limits of processing in geoR ?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Jun 6 11:36:15 CEST 2007

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007, Vanessa Stelzenmuller (Cefas) wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm new to this list and I wonder if someone could help with the following:
>

> - I have to process a huge amount of data(> 20 000) - I calculated some
> GAMs, correlations etc. no problem
>
> - Now using the library (geoR) I came across the following error message
> for the first time: "cannot allocate vector of size 567 MB"
>
> - It is not a problem of computer power - so I guess these are internal
> limits for processing with geoR?
>
> What do you think ?

RSiteSearch("geoR memory")

gives some helpful links. The functions in geoR do work on the dense n by
n matrix, so may not be what you need - depending on the particular
geostatistical approach you are taking. If you are free to use
alternatives. please look at gstat (and I believe fields) which do not try
to store the n by n matrix.

geoR is, I believe, best in situations where there is little data and the
researcher is trying to squeeze the maximum out of them in terms of
inference and prediction - see the geoR book "Model-based geostatistics"
by Peter Diggle and Paulo Ribeiro Jr, recently published by Springer.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no