[R-sig-Geo] [R-sig-DB] [R] Connecting to PostgreSQL/PostGIS from R (rgdal?)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Jun 2 20:32:38 CEST 2007

Brian,

On 2 June 2007 at 19:08, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
| There are quite a few 'db API' features in RODBC that are not in DBI.

Random idea of the day: Would it be wortwhile to re-think what the DBI API
should cover?

These days, it may matter less to be R and S-Plus compatible [1] but e.g. to
me it matters whether I get niceties like POSIXct times in and out of
databases intact, and that doesn't seem be a concern per se for DBI.

A unified DBI interface is still the right idea, but I'd like to push the
feature set further. But then I know little about the gory details so feel
free to correct me.

Regards, Dirk

[1] (or, given who accrues benefits from this, we could make it Insightful's
concern to catch up)

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison