[R-sig-Geo] fit points in GWR

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jan 22 20:14:12 CET 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Jason Kreitler wrote:

> All,
>
> I am attempting to interpolate using the 'fit points' command within
> GWR, but continue to run into problems. Can you recommend some example
> code that utilizes the 'fit points' function? I haven't found an example
> within the documentation.

GWR does not interpolate, it fits coefficients at fit points weighted by
distances from the data points (where there are known values of the
variables). The final example at the foot of the examples on the gwr()
help page - example(gwr) - will run if you have packages maptools and
gpclib installed (I think in the released version, YMMV), using a grid of
SpatialPixels as fit.points=. It simply does gwr() for a regular grid of
points within Georgia, after first merging the counties.

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no