[R-sig-Geo] convUL to convert UTM in Lat/Long

Berta ibanez at bioef.org
Mon Jan 22 18:58:44 CET 2007

Thanks Roger,

I was not reading correctly the number they gave to me (obviosly, 43º 09585'
means 43º + 9'585 minutes, so it is exactly what i had to obtain, 43.15975,
the problem was that I am not familiar with the notation, and i expected a
decimal point or something). So everything is now as we expected. Regarding
the correction +towgs84, i will have a look at it, but what I needed to work
out is already done with your help. Thanks again!!!

Berta

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Berta wrote:

> Thanks Roger, it works perfectly. Just one thing. If I use the second
> option, I obtain (note that it is for other data point, for which I have
> the
> conversion from the GPS tool)
>
> library(rgdal)
> datainUTM<-data.frame(cbind(c(559835),c(4778818), c(0), c(1)))
> names(datainUTM)<-c("X", "Y", "PID", "POS")
> SP <- SpatialPoints(cbind(datainUTM$X, datainUTM$Y),
> proj4string=CRS("+proj=utm +zone=30"))
> spTransform(SP, CRS("+proj=longlat"))
>
> #     coords.x1 coords.x2
> #[1,] -2.263995  43.15975
> #Coordinate Reference System (CRS) arguments:  +proj=longlat +ellps=WGS84

It doesn't look as though this is the ED50 to WGS84 datum shift that you
gave in your email that crossed with my reply. It may be that you need to
find a correct +towgs84 for your location - it turns out that there are
various ones across Europe - googling on "ED50 towgs84" gives lots of
different values. Are your GPS values degree+decimal minute:

43º 9.585' N; 02º 15840' H

which would be decimal degree:

43.15975; 2.2640

wouldn't it?