[R-sig-Geo] Marginless plot output for georegistration of output graphics

David Forrest drf5n at maplepark.com
Tue Jan 16 19:06:33 CET 2007

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Roger Bivand wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, David Forrest wrote:
>
>> Hi All,

I think I can make marginless plots in base, lattice, and sp graphics now,
but I'm still missing something about the data ranges for spplot.

#################################
# Marginless plots in base graphics:
library(stats)
par.save<-par(no.readonly = TRUE);
par(mar=c(0,0,0,0))
plot(quakes$long,quakes$lat,xaxs='i',yaxs='i',xlab=FALSE,axes=FALSE)
par(par.save)

########### in lattice/trellis/grid
library(lattice)
theme.novpadding <-
# From Deepayan Sarkar's posting of 2006-10-12:
    list(layout.heights =
         list(top.padding = 0,
             main.key.padding = 0,
             key.axis.padding = 0,
             axis.xlab.padding = 0,
             xlab.key.padding = 0,
             key.sub.padding = 0,
             bottom.padding = 0),
         layout.widths =
         list(left.padding = 0,
             key.ylab.padding = 0,
             ylab.axis.padding = 0,
             axis.key.padding = 0,
             right.padding = 0))
print( # lattice/grid With device extents == data extents
xyplot(lat ~ long , data=quakes, pch=".",
        ,xlab=NULL,ylab=NULL
        ,scales=list(axs='i',draw=FALSE)
        ,par.settings=theme.novpadding))

#########  In spatial (with internal & device margin)
# An example of a marginless plot in library(sp)
library(sp)
qk<-SpatialPointsDataFrame(quakes[,c(2:1)],quakes)
proj4string(qk)<-CRS("+proj=longlat")
spplot(qk,'mag',key.space=list(x=0.25,y=.2,corner=c(1,1)),
        par.settings=theme.novpadding,scales=list(axs='i',draw=FALSE))

#####################

The device/aspect ratio margin is controllable and manageable with a
mapasp(gk) based device call.

I'd still like to eliminate the remaining internal margin from around the
plot.  I saw it once in my experimenting, but I am not sure if it was some
interaction with par() or something and have not able to duplicate
it.

Dave
--
  Dr. David Forrest