[R-sig-Geo] sp for R V2.1.0

Edzer J. Pebesma e.pebesma at geo.uu.nl
Tue Jan 9 20:55:03 CET 2007

David Forrest wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does the install.packages('sp') on my R V2.1.0 (Debian Stable) report:
>
>     no package 'sp' at the repositories in: download.packages(pkgs, destdir
>     = tmpd, available = available
>
> ... because sp from CRAN depends on "R (>= 2.4.0), methods" ?
>
> The machine is a production server, and I'd like to not mix the
> Debian releases on it if I can avoid it.  Its using some rusty old
> scripts with library(maps) on it.
>
> Would you advise a separate R 2.4.0 + install for using sp on these
> machines?

Dave,

library(maps) does not require sp. If you want to use sp, it doesn't
sound rusty to me. Alternatively, you could try to find sp sources that
were there when R was 2.1.0 (were they of any use back then?), perhaps
in some CRAN area that I couldn't find, or wait until Debian Etch
becomes stable, it has R 2.4.0. The general R attitude seems to be to
keep up with R release, don't expect backports of current packages.

Hth,
--
Edzer