[R-sig-Geo] Shifting a spatial object by (dx,dy)

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Feb 7 18:46:56 CET 2007

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, David Forrest wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a mis-projected UTM zone 18 polygon shapefile, the coordinates of
> which need a transformation of (+287.4395, -77.5542) added to them to be
> in WGS84/NAD83 UTM 18.  Since this is a non-standard CRS / non-EPSG CRS,
> I'm not sure about the best way to fix it.
>
> Is there some function that would add this offset to the component
> polygon coordinates, bbox, and labpts data?

No, although it could be done by picking things apart and shifting them
point for point. My first choice would be to hand-craft a +proj=tmerc CRS
for the shifted data and use spTransform() in rgdal to move it, probably
by making the modifications in +x_0= and +y_0= in relation to the correct
ones for the UTM zone. When the differences between the bounding boxes or
label points of the input and output data are correct, the fake CRS will
be the right one.

http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/proj_list/transverse_mercator.html

has lots of information.

Roger