[R-sig-Geo] GIS Tasks in R

Tim Keitt tkeitt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 22:07:27 CET 2007

In addition to Rogers advise, you might take a peek at the functions
available in postgis. Once you have polys in the postgis database, you
can do quite a lot of geometry ops by eg "select intersection(poly1,
poly2) from tabname" and so on. There's some grunt work involved. Its
certainly not pointy-clicky (although QGIS and GRASS have some ability
to work with postgis). I have found some useful functions there.
Documentation is pretty good too.

THK