[R-sig-Geo] which data format should I buy

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Dec 21 09:45:04 CET 2007

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Jan Wijffels wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a newbie to spatial statistics and I'm considering to buy a map of
> Belgium with its communes. If I go to the website of the national
> geographical institute of Belgium (http://www.ngi.be/FR/FR1-5-2.shtm or
> http://www.ngi.be/NL/NL1-5-2.shtm if you speak Dutch), I see it offers a
> digital ArcInfo dataset and also a DWG formatted dataset for 300 euros.

The readOGR() function in the rgdal package will read Arc-info coverages.
But beware of too much detail - my guess is that Admin-v-gen will suit you
better unless you really need the most detailed administrative boundaries.
This is also available for ArcInfo coverages, cheaper too, though the
price doesn't compete with US or Canadian prices for public data of
administrative boundaries, I'm afraid.

In any case, you can check the format drivers in rgdal with ogrDrivers().
You need more insight into the GIS formats for coverages and DXF/DWG than
for shapefiles - the incantations are not easy - so getting a friendly GIS
colleague to convert the boundaries you need to a shapefile might save you
learning things you don't strictly need to.

Roger