[R-sig-Geo] adding new maps to map, mapdata, mapproj; archive of R-sig-geo

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Dec 18 11:17:18 CET 2007

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007, Galkowski, Jan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry if this has been covered somewhere.
>
> Is there a writeup describing how new maps get added to map, mapdata,
> mapproj?

The build mechanisms with Bourne shell and AWK scripts are described in
the Bell Labs Research Reports listed in ?map. It can be done, but there
may be viable alternatives if your data are already in a geographical data
format, in particular using the sp package approach, and rgdal for
input/output and projection.

> What I'm trying to do is overlay polygons in latitude and
> longitude onto these maps, then project them.  The associated things
> you'd like to do with such overlays apply, e.g,. color them, use
> different boundaries, etc.  Or perhaps there is also an overlay
> mechanism?

By polygon overlay, do you mean just plot polygons on top of other data -
see the sp classes and possibly spplot() - illustrated on:

http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/gallery/

If you mean topological overlay (creating new geometries from combined
existing geometries and assigning indices to them), you need a GIS or a
spatially extended database. GRASS or PostGIS/PostgreSQL should get you
some or most of the way.

> Second, is there an online archive of r-sig-geo (or for that matter
> r-help, etc) that can be searched for such questions?

R-sig-geo can be searched from RSiteSearch(), although searching on "map"
is made more difficult because the word is used in many contexts.

Roger