[R-sig-Geo] [Qgis-user] Qgis and R ?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Dec 4 23:51:19 CET 2007

G. Allegri wrote:
> Ok, but I don't think you need a GDAL/OGR driver. Rgdal+sp do already
> the work. You need come code to couple the pieces, like the spgrass6
> package [1] do for Grass.

  So you are sitting in front of QGis and there's some R-spatial objects
sitting in a .RData file. How do we get that into QGis?

  How about the user selects an option 'Load R-spatial Data Object',
browses the .RData file and chooses the object, then Rpy uses RGdal
converts it to a shapefile or raster, then QGis loads that in? Is that
the solution you are thinking of?

  That's an easy solution, but it's a looser coupling than being able to
read R-spatial objects directly, and it requires an extra file creation.
  Code-wise it's quite straightforward... I already have an R object
browser written in PyQt and Rpy!

Barry