[R-sig-Geo] Units of centroid point coordinates generated byget.Pcent and calcCentroid?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Aug 29 06:21:45 CEST 2007

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, Michael Sumner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In short: they are probably in UTM (metres) for whatever UTM zone your
> counties are closest to.
>
> Shape files sometimes have this information in a .prj file.

Yes, the input shapefile is not in geographical coordinates. But I don't
think it is UTM either, unless it is about 1000km north of the Equator,
which does not agree with the externally computed centroids (look like
Seattle/Vancouver?). So you'd need to establish the coordinate reference
system of the input data.

You could use the coordinates() methods for a SpatialPolygonsDataFrame
method, as read by readOGR() in rgdal, or readShapePoly() in maptools -
this returns the label point for the largest member polygon by naive area
(area in the input coordinates regardless of metrics). But to get
centroids in geographical coordinates, you can only do:

spTransform(SpatialPoints(coordinates(SPDF), proj4string=CRS(???)),
   CRS("+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84"))

if you know what ??? is. You would autodetect a *.prj file by using
readOGR(), then ??? would be proj4string(SPDF), unless
is.na(proj4string(SPDF)).

Depending on the state and the date of the map, look in

EPSG <- make_EPSG() # rgdal
EPSG[grep("Washington", EPSG$note),]

or your state of choice to find a candidate. Once you have (say) added
county names as a SpatialPointsDataFrame, try to output:

writeOGR(my_points_ll, "centroids.kml", "centroids", driver="KML")

and open in Google Earth for a sanity check.

Hope this helps,

Roger