[R-sig-Geo] Units of centroid point coordinates generated by get.Pcent and calcCentroid?

Rick Reeves reeves at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Aug 29 00:36:02 CEST 2007

Hello List:

I'm getting to know the polygon centroid - generating functions
get.Pcent() (maptools) and calcCentroid() (PBSmapping),
and would like to know the units of the centroid point coordinates.

Working with maptools version:

library(maptools)
MapPolysMapClass = read.shape("FiveNWStateCounties")
MapPolyCents = get.Pcent(MapPolysMapClass)

Here is a portion of my input polygon file (CNTRDLONG/LAT computed
elsewhere),

Browse[1]> MapPolysMapClass$att.data
STATEFIPS COUNTYFIPS      COUNTYNAME LSAD LSAD_TRANS CNTRDLONG
CNTRDLAT      F_AREA
1          53        073                     Whatcom   06     County
-121.7137 48.82591  5584761843
2          53        073                     Whatcom   06     County
-123.0569 48.98870    12378754
3          30        029                     Flathead   06     County
-114.0498 48.29519 13613065142
4          30        053                     Lincoln   06     County
-115.4052 48.54250  9518449902
5          16        021                     Boundary   06     County
-116.4629 48.76703  3309965666

.and here are the corresponding polygon centroids

 [1,] -1762352.7 1282662.2
 [2,] -1846616.8 1326565.8
 [3,] -1256556.1 1099405.3
 [4,] -1343898.6 1146606.3
 [5,] -1410325.9 1187932.0

The PBSmapping calcCentroid function (using PolySet inputs) generates
the same numbers.

So, what units are these coordinates? I havent found the answer in the
maptools or PBSmapping package manuals.
Side question: (How) can I translate them to Lat/Long coordinates?

Thanks,
Rick Reeves

--
Rick Reeves