[R-sig-Geo] DEM data in R?

Michael Sumner mdsumner at utas.edu.au
Thu Aug 2 04:26:23 CEST 2007

Hello,

With rgdal you can access a lot of DEM file formats.

I don't know of any data in available packages, but the volcano dataset is a
very simple one. See the help page for persp() and volcano.

I routinely use the ETOPO2 dataset, but I gather you will want far more
detailed local data than that.

In general I would keep the size of a package down, but if you got a
compelling reason to put it in the package then it's just up to people to
download it.  If there are links to the existing data you want to use, it's
probably better to provide functions that read from those files. So the
package is then not bound to an optional dataset.

There is an enormous range of ways in which topographic data is stored, so
feel free to ask  - and check out the GDAL/OGR family www.gdal.org and its R
workhorse rgdal. There are some gridded datasets in rgdal but I think (?)
they are all images.

Finally, if you happened to be interested in global bathymetry, then check
out this reference:

@article{marks2006epa,
  title={{An Evaluation of Publicly Available Global Bathymetry Grids}},
  author={Marks, K.M. and Smith, W.H.F.},
  journal={Marine Geophysical Researches},
  volume={27},
  number={1},
  pages={19--34},
  year={2006},