[R-sig-Geo] Cliff and Ord modified t-test for autocorrelated datasets

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Aug 1 15:09:50 CEST 2007

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Marco Helbich wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I've got two autocorrelated datasets and want to perform a two-sample t-test
> comparing the means. Because of the autocorrelation the t-test assumtions
> are violated. In Cliff & Ord (1981, Spatial Processes, Ch. 7.2) I read that
> there is an alternative modified t-test, which considers autocorrelation. Is
> such a test implemented in R or somewhere else? Can anybody give me a
> helping hand?

The test isn't implemented as far as I know, but it shouldn't be too
difficult to try, all of the bits to do the first kind (7.4, 7.8, 7.9) are
present. What is really needed is a reproducible example so that an
implementation in R could be checked. I'll see if I still have a copy of
the 1975 paper somewhere, full-text is not (yet) available for Environment
& Planning.

Hope this helps,

Roger