[R-sig-Geo] Map projectin for Europe...

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Apr 20 06:21:14 CEST 2007

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007, Takatsugu Kobayashi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I has a meteorology project in which I have to map average wind speeds
> over EU, as well as European countries' boundary. I have been looking
> online for free European maps like the one I can find on US Census for
> N. America. But it seems like google doesn't hit anything useful. I
> wonder if some Rusers from Europe might know where I could find free EU
> map with each country's boundary.

Here is a link to the world map with country boundaries which was
discussed on the list in September last year, updated for R >= 2.4.

http://spatial.nhh.no/R/etc/world_countries_24.rda

load("world_countries_24.rda")

You'll need to subset the object to choose the countries of Europe that
you require, then use the spTransform() method in rgdal to go to the
standard EU Lambert AEA:

CRS("+init=epsg:3035")

Hope this helps,

Roger