[R-sig-Geo] is it possible to resample a raster image?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Apr 19 13:27:45 CEST 2007

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Vladimir Eremeev wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am studying new knowledge areas now.
>
> I am curious, if it is possible to transform a projected raster image
> to another geographic projection using R packages.

There is no warping functionality as such, so as you see below, the output
data is not in a regular grid. You need to make your "+proj=longlat" (not
"latlong" - that may reverse the understanding of the coordinates)
SpatialGrid first, extract its coordinates(), spTransform() them to the
input projection - now a SpatialPoints object. Next, interpolate from the
input grid to the new points, and finally either project back to "longlat"
- which will be a rectangular grid, or just insert the interpolated values
as the data= argument into a SpatialGridDataFrame using the "longlat"
GridTopology created earlier.

Using GridTopology() and coordinates(), you could get round the
expand.grid() step. For interpolation, IDW in gstat with a tight
neighbourhood, or maybe splines in interp or field ought to be OK, or some
other resampling trick (k=1 nearest neighbour for categorical variables?).

Hope this helps,

Roger