[R-sig-Geo] Good projection for N/S America?

White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov
Mon Apr 9 23:05:29 CEST 2007

Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote on 2007-04-09 13:52:45:

> On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov wrote:
>
> > Roger's solution makes sense to me.
> >
> > The sinusoidal does have the appearance of pinching poleward, a
> > consequence of allocating equal area by spacing equally in both x
and y.

> Both Canada and Norway - especially including Spitzbergen - suffer
from
> this, but good compromises are hard to find if one needs Patagonia
too.

Goode's Homolosine is one.  USGS distributes (or did) some of their
global land cover data in that projection, see
http://landcover.usgs.gov/globallandcover.php.  Not only is it
interrupted, but it combines the sinusoidal from -40 to +40 and the
Mollweide poleward of +/- 40.  (I don't see it on the geotiff list.)

> I can see that getting rgdal binaries for popular platforms is a real
> issue, any suggestions?
>
> Roger
>
> > Also the Lambert cylindrical sent in before should have had standard
> > parallels set to +/- 30, i.e.,
> >
> > (See attached file: whemi.projs.png)
> >
> > Tim Keitt <tkeitt at gmail.com> wrote on 2007-04-09 13:38:33:
> >
> > > Canada looks pinched in this projection. S. Am is perfect.
> > >
> > > THK

> > are
For
> > such as