[R-sig-Geo] How to convert esri shapefiles to ppp objetcs/ owin object

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Sep 12 10:45:47 CEST 2006

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Debarchana Ghosh wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm in the process of conducting spatial point clustering where the
> locations are very important by using splancs and spatstat packages. However
> it looks like I'm stuck at the very first step. Even after reading the
> manuals, I can't figure it out how to create the ppp class object from the
> esri shapefiles specially the uneven polygon. I have a study area of seven
> counties. Any help on this will greatly appreciated.

Please have a look at the functions in the spspatstat package on
sourceforge - http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/ and see download for
download instructions. If the sp package is installed first:

rSpatial <- "http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/R"
install.packages("spspatstat", repos=rSpatial)

should work (unless OSX when type="source" is also needed). That lets you
convert points and windows from sp class objects. See the R News note on
sp classes in 2005/2, pp. 9-13.

If you can see additions to the interface package that would be useful,
please let us know.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no