[R-sig-Geo] CRS parameters

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Sep 1 13:09:41 CEST 2006

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Laurent Dubroca wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I use spmaps 0.1-4+gdal 1.3.1+proj 4.4.9 with R 2.3.1.
> Starting with the example of the spmaps package and the
> map2SpatialPolygons function, it seems that the proj4strings parameters
> of this line are not correct :
>
> nor_coast_poly_sp <- map2SpatialPolygons(nor_coast_poly, IDs=IDs,
> proj4string=CRS("+proj=longlat +datum=wgs84"))
>
> The message returned is
>
> "Erreur dans CRS("+proj=longlat +datum=wgs84") :
>          unknown elliptical parameter name"

You are running with rgdal loaded. I get the same error, because the datum
should be WGS84 rather than wgs84, see proj -le. I'll correct the example.

> With the proj -l command I cannot find the projection called "latlong".

No, that's OK, the longlat and latlong are placeholders for unprojected
data - we use longlat because the X coordinates are the first column, not
the second.

Thanks for a helpful report.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no