[R-sig-Geo] Surface Maps

Arien Lam A.Lam at geo.uu.nl
Wed Oct 25 18:12:53 CEST 2006

bertrand toupin wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to do a surface map like this one :
>
> http://img63.imageshack.us/my.php?image=terreeu4.jpg

That looks like a plot of gridded data that you could
produce with spplot() in package sp.

> Of course, my domain is smaller :)
>
> My entry are like that (polar stereographic grid from a numerical model):
>
> lat    long    Data
> 40    -77.0    24.0
> 42     -77.2    23.0
> 41    -76.0     22.5
This doesn't look like a grid, and it also doesn't look like
projected, but it does look like spatial points in latlon
and you can plot them with spplot().
If these spatial points are gridcell centers, you can define
their representative area as a grid or as polygons (given
the parameters of the projection and the numerical model)
and you can plot those with spplot(), or you can interpolate
these point data to a regular grid and then plot the grid
(with spplot()).

Hope this helps,
Arien