[R-sig-Geo] lesions distribution

José Mauricio Cunha Fernandes mauricio at cnpt.embrapa.br
Fri Oct 20 19:58:36 CEST 2006

Dear Friends,

I am a plant pathologist working in Southern Brazil. I have a research
project dealing with the development of plant disease simulators.
Amongst the research topics under investigation is the distribution
of disease symptoms within a particular leaf. We used a scanner to
acquire images from wheat leaves infected with rust (a wheat disease).A
grid x(-6,6) and y(0,100) was superimposed on each image and the number
of lesions (z) in each cell of the grid was recorded. We have a few
hundreds leaves examined. A example of data is shown bellow (leaf_46.txt).

x y z

 0   0   1

 2   36  1

 1   18  1

 1   17  2

 1   32  2

 1   24  1

 1   23  1

 0   46  1

 1   43  7

 1   63  4

 -1  61  2

 1   55  2

 2   57  2

 -1  57  2

 -1  52  2

 -1  51  2

 1   51  2

 3   52  8

 0   37  2

 -1  66  6

 1   69  2

 2   72  4

 -4  73  3

 -4  72  1

 -1  70  2

 -4  67  2

 2   59  2

 -1  78  3

 0   77  1

 -2  76  2

 1   75  3

 2   27  1

 1   29  1

 0   27  1

This R code bellow was used to visualize:

 leaf_46 <- read.table("leaf_46.txt",header=T)

 win <- list(x=c(-6,-6,0,6,6), y=c(0,80,100,80,0))

 plot(win, asp=1, type="n")

 polygon(win)

 points(leaf_46[,1:2])

I am reading on published literature but I am still a little confused on
choosing an appropriate technique to analyze the data. Therefore, any
suggestions from the list members will be very welcome.

Thanks very much for your attention