[R-sig-Geo] correlogram for categorical data

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Oct 19 09:05:31 CEST 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov wrote:

> I have a 1000 x 1000 grid of categorical values (nine of these) and want
> to compute and plot a correlogram.  Function cell2nb() will take a while
> it appears but if that succeeds then can methods of sp.correlogram() be
> used on categorical data?  What are "style" options in sp.correlogram()?

Sorry, could you say how a correlogram might be constructed for
categorical values (eg. land cover)? Wouldn't join counts be a more
natural choice? joincoint.multi() in spdep has a Jtot value of total
different category joins, so using that with different lags of a cell2nb()
neighbour list might work. However, the 1M cell grid is pretty large for
cell2nb(), using dnearneigh() on cell centres may be faster and scale
better, (and other possibilities should exist) and nblag() will be
definitely sub-optimal in this setting. For join counts, the "B" weights
style is the obvious one to chose. Note that joincoint.multi() is not
coded in C.

This would need trying on a small subset and scaling up - I think that
alternative routes to constructing the lagged neighbour lists would be
preferable.

Roger