[R-sig-Geo] any way to prompt users for information?

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Wed Oct 18 02:29:38 CEST 2006

Dear R users,

I am trying to automate some analyses for people who will know very
little about R. At some point in the program, I'd like to ask the
user to answer a question so that the program can take action
according to the answer given. Just making a question appear in the
console is not ideal, it is easily missed by users who will be
watching mostly for figures I'll produce.

I am hoping there is a way to make a simple text window pop up with
my question in it, and the cursor placed ready for the user to type
his answer.

I already made it easy for the user to chose which file to analyse
with the command

txt <- file.choose()

I tried to look into the help system and found nothing, although I
may be using the wrong keywords to get something out of the help
system or of RSiteSearch.

I'd appreciate being put on the right track!

Thanks in advance,

Denis Chabot