[R-sig-Geo] spatial averaging of interpolation data

Wouter Buytaert wouter at paramo.be
Mon Oct 2 17:03:13 CEST 2006

Hi list,

this is a rather theoretical question, so sorry if it is not very
appropriate for this list, but with a bit of luck someone may feel
challenged to reply.

I am looking for the correct procedure to average spatially interpolated
data over an area. Specifically, I used kriging to interpolate point
rainfall over a grid covering a catchment and now I want to estimate the
average rainfall over the catchment, including the uncertainty on the
estimation.

Obviously, taking just the mean and the variance of all the grid
cell values doesn't work because it does not take into account spatial
correlation and thus underestimates the uncertainty.

So what is/are the best method(s)? Suggestions on how to implement them in
R are very welcome, as well as suggestions for literature if the answer
would turn out to be more complicate than I imagined.

Many thanks!

Wouter Buytaert
Lancaster University