[R-sig-Geo] Saving jpeg world files

Mulholland, Tom Tom.Mulholland at dpi.wa.gov.au
Wed Nov 29 07:35:32 CET 2006

I am beginning to get a little bit bog eyed with the myriad of options there are within the various spatial packages. I am trying to find ways of porting the results I get within R into a GIS environment and I can't seem to see anything that would let me write a jpeg file with an appropriate world file.

I have managed to create an ASCIIGrid but my first tests seem to indicate that not all grids are created equally. My experience with some of the "free" windows GIS applications is that jpg files seem to be more universally supported, so I thought that might be a more fruitful way to go. I will then have to worry less about making sure my output is the type that can be imported.

It looks to me as if the class "im" in spatstat is conceptually straightforward to process. It looks as if all the attributes are there to create a world file. Since my data is already projected it would seem that I should be able to simply use the jpeg device for output (not that I have any idea how I'll go about that) and create a text file to go along with it.

The first question is 'Am I missing something really simple?' and the second is "Is there a straightforward solution that I have already missed."

Tom

platform       i386-pc-mingw32
arch           i386
os             mingw32
system         i386, mingw32
status
major          2
minor          4.0
year           2006
month          10
day            03
svn rev        39566
language       R
version.string R version 2.4.0 (2006-10-03)

Tom Mulholland
Senior Demographer
Applied Research and Modelling
State and Regional Policy
Department for Planning and Infrastructure
Perth, Western Australia
+61 (08) 9264 7936