[R-sig-Geo] Using R with cygwin/GRASS

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Nov 15 08:27:23 CET 2006

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Luigi Ponti wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have looked at archives on the topic, but was not able to figure out
> if it is possible to access the GRASS/R interface when using cygwin/GRASS.

Both GRASS 5 R package "GRASS" and GRASS 6 R package "spgrass6" work with
cygwin. They work slightly differently, with "spgrass6" working just like
Mac OSX/Linux/Unix - start the R text console inside GRASS from the text
console prompt - start GRASS as $ grass -text, then start R as Rterm (the
non-GUI front end). Rterm may need its full path to start.

If the R packages are installed in an extra library (outside the install
tree), you may also need .libPaths() to add that directory to R's search
path for libraries once R is running.

Roger