[R-sig-Geo] Best way to merge selected regions in a map?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Nov 10 18:04:10 CET 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, Frosch, Katharina wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I work with a county map of Germany and have to merge 100 out of 440
> counties in total. I tried several ways, using unionSpatialPolygons from
> the spgpc package and combine union and append commands from the gpclib
> package, but did not succeed. What is the best and most "elegant" way to
> do the merging? Especially: Which objects do I have to use (+ how to
> keep and to retrieve the ID of the counties without mixing it up).
>
> Either I do not manage to choose the respective two counties to merge,
> or the commands do not correspond to the object I saved the two counties
> in. I start with a MIF/MID file of Europe, which I load into R and then
> save using writePolyShape.

Please include some of the commands you have used. In principle
unionSpatialPolygons() should work, given that the classifying factor has

length(unique(factor)) < length(factor)

and the boundaries of the polygons are the same. If the boundaries are
separated, for example by a river, the output Polygons object will be
joined, but will be represented by two distinct Polygon objects.

So there are two possible reasons for the dissolve not working.

More advice on the arguments to the function will be easier to give if you
paste the ones you used into your posting.

Roger