[R-sig-Geo] readOGR() - choice of layer in MIF/MID file?

Frosch, Katharina frosch at rostockerzentrum.de
Wed Nov 8 17:00:53 CET 2006

Hello all,

[this is the continuation of a thread originally posted to r-help]

As recommended by Roger, I installed the rgdal package and went through
the description of my MIF/MID files. However, I was not able to load the
data using readOGR(), most probably because I did not manage to
correctly specify the layer. As I am pretty new to spatial data analysis
and R, I am still a bit lost.

I tried with
setwd("E\\Maps\\MIF")
test<-readOGR("testmif.mif", layer = "layer1")

and got the error message "Error in ogrInfo(dsn = dsn, layer = layer:
Cannot open layer"

testmif.MIF
testmif.MID
containing "points", "polygons" and "regions" and corresponding
attribute data.
(R version 2.4.0 on Windows XP)

How to find out the correct layer name? The description file of the
MIF/MID file contains only descriptions of the attributes and elements,
but no explicit layer names.

Katharina

Katharina Frosch
Rostocker Zentrum