[R-sig-Geo] problems loading spproj library for transform()

karl.sommer at dpi.vic.gov.au karl.sommer at dpi.vic.gov.au
Thu May 25 09:31:17 CEST 2006

thanks for the prompt reply

the method spTransform() worked

I now have an attribute file of class SpatiaPointsDataFrame with EM38
readings.  I also have a separate shape file of class
SpatialPolygonsDataFrame which I imported form an ESRI shape file using the
readOGR() method of rgdal.  I would like to superpose the two files in a
plot but so far have not been successful in lining them up satisfactorily.
I am not sure if the misalignement is due to my misguided plotting method

p1 <- spplot(x, c("var"))  #attribute data
p2 <- spplot (x2)  # shapefile

print(p1, split = c(1,1,1,1), more = TRUE)
print(p2, split = c(1,1,1,1), more = FALSE)

or due to the fact that the projections of the two files differ.  I am not
sure how to extract projection information from the shape file.

any hints would be appreciated

Karl

|---------+----------------------------------->
|         |           Roger.Bivand at nhh.no     |
|         |           Sent by:                |
|         |           r-sig-geo-bounces at stat.m|
|         |           ath.ethz.ch             |
|         |                                   |
|         |                                   |
|         |           25/05/2006 15:41        |
|         |           Please respond to       |
|         |           Roger.Bivand            |
|         |                                   |
|---------+----------------------------------->
  |       To:       mdsumner at utas.edu.au                                                                                         |
  |       cc:       r-sig-geo at stat.math.ethz.ch                                                                                  |
  |       Subject:  Re: [R-sig-Geo] problems loading spproj library for transform()                                              |

On Thu, 25 May 2006, Michael Sumner wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have the same problem, I've been meaning to explore further before
> posting, but since spproj is not on CRAN I don't think I've missed
> something obvious. This seems to be related to rgdal 0.4-4:

In rgdal, try running example("spTransform-methods") - if it works, use
spTransform() instead of transform().

Sorry for the muddle.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no