[R-sig-Geo] arConnect

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri May 12 21:15:15 CEST 2006

On Thu, 11 May 2006, Colin Robertson wrote:

> Hello List,
> Does anyone know if the arcGIS extension called ArConnect (
> http://www.gisvet.org/Documents/GisVet04/RegularPaper/Tait.pdf )
> is released or available anywhere.  I've had a hard time finding anything
> but this one paper.  I'm looking for the most comprehensive tools for kernel
> density estimated surfaces (with cross validation bandwidth selection and
> the boundary correction).

I think the answer is negative - the project was promising, but it is
difficult to find subsequent references. If you need to integrate with
ArcGIS, you may find the code at:

of use. From there, you can try to see which kernel density functions in R
suit you best. If you visit http://www.spatstat.org/, you can find plenty
of information (ksmooth.ppp), and there are alternatives like kernel2d()
and mse2d() in splancs, but you'll need to look around to find a function
to meet your needs.