[R-sig-Geo] bubble vs plot.map -- gstat, maptools

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu May 11 22:08:16 CEST 2006

On Thu, 11 May 2006, Zev Ross wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've got another question for the group. I'm using the bubble function in
> GSTAT to plot the residuals from a krige.cv object. I'd like to place on
> top the outlines of my counties of interest (or even better I'd like to
> plot them in the reverse order). What I'm finding is that even if I
> eliminate the key and eliminate the "asp" call from the bubble function,
> my two plots don't align as they do under more traditional plotting
> circumstances
>
> Here's the idea:
>
> kcv28<-krige.cv(avg.pm25~1,pm.all28, vFitRaw, nmax=dim(pm.all28)[1],
>      nfold=dim(pm.all28)[1])
> bubble(kcv28, "residual", do.sqrt=F)
> map.nyc<-read.shape("D:/junk/counties/all_counties.shp", dbf.data=T)
> plot(map.nyc, add=T, fg="transparent", ol="gray50")

Well, bubble() uses lattice graphics, and the plot() methods are most
often base graphics:

library(maptools)
xx <- readShapePoly(system.file("shapes/sids.shp", package="maptools")[1])
xx$crude <- (1000*xx$SID74)/xx$BIR74
out <- bubble(pts, "crude")
plot(xx, axes=TRUE)
symbols(out$panel.args[[1]], circles=out$panel.args.common$cex/10,
  bg=out$panel.args.common$col, inches=FALSE, add=TRUE)

is pretty close (with a kludgy cex/10 size factor), or

plot(xx, axes=TRUE)
points(out$panel.args[[1]], cex=out$panel.args.common$cex,
  col=out$panel.args.common$col, pch=out$panel.args.common$pch)

using points(). See

str(out)

to pick out the guts of the bubble lattice plot object. The plot()
method used here, symbols() and points() are all in base grahics.

Also see a recent paper in JSS by Susumu Tanimura, Chusi Kuroiwa, and
Tsutomu Mizota, including some legend code:

http://www.jstatsoft.org/

Volume 15, 2006, Issue 5

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no