[R-sig-Geo] Importing and Handling DXF Map files in R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu May 11 18:54:15 CEST 2006

On Thu, 11 May 2006, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> one possible way is passing through GRASS GIS (you need latest version from
> CVS, though).
> pc

Agreed, converting from DXF through OGR (as in the rgdal package for R) is
not possible (http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/ogr/drv_dxfdwg.html).
Depending on platform, there may be converters available, but not
unemcumbered. Since the data are said to be points, I wonder if Francisco
or the originator of the data if not him, can dump it as ASCII from the
CAD software - since there is no topology.

A very good book that I certainly recommend is Bailey & Gatrell's
Interactive Spatial Data Analysis - their treatment of point pattern
analysis is easy to follow (including kernel densities), and most of their
point pattern examples are replicated in the examples of the splancs
package for R. I'm not sure how kernel2d scales for 70K points, though,
and feel that you may find the hexbin package in bioconductor an
alternative: it is something else, but is designed for lots of data:

http://www.bioconductor.org/repository/devel/vignette/hexagon_binning.pdf

and there seems to be a smoother there too.

Please let the list know how you decide to extract the point coordinates,
others will benefit from your experience.

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no