[R-sig-Geo] Convert esri shape files to esri ascii grid from R

Mulholland, Tom Tom.Mulholland at dpi.wa.gov.au
Fri Mar 10 02:13:58 CET 2006

I didn't know how to do this offhand, but a little research soon found a way. So I think you need to search the existing resources before asking your question as my basic search from R

>RSiteSearch("esri grid")

returned write.asciigrid as the first response. Since I routinely read shapefiles into sp classes (readShapePoints in maptools) it's the conversion of one to another.

The overview PDF file in the sp package gives an example on converting points to grids ("5.2 Creating grids from points".)

It would appear that you just need to familarise yourself with what's in sp and maptools. I would suggest looking through previous posts on this list with regard to shapefiles which will give you an understanding of some of the limitations that you might bump into. For example (I don't know if it is still true) I have some point shapefiles that don't seem to be currently supported.

Tom