[R-sig-Geo] Adding some data as colors to world map

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Mar 6 22:40:01 CET 2006

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Gregor Gorjanc wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am a total newbie to map handling, but a keen R user. I have some
> estimates by numbers per country (in names, such as Germany, France,
> ...) and would like to add this information with use of color on world
> and perhaps additionally to Europe map. How can this be achieved in R?
> Any pointers to relevant literature/tutorials would be fine.

Welcome! The answer depends on how you want to represent the countries
graphically. Do you want to display the formatted numbers on a map of
country borders, to fill the country polygons with colour or shading
representing the values of the numbers, or maybe to put a filled bubble at
some point representing the countries?

Which countries? Are they already in the maps package (maybe not, some of
the borders there are rather out-of-date)?

library(maps)
map("world", xlim=c(-12,35), ylim=c(35,65))

shows you a pretty old version of Europe! There are plenty of sources of
border maps, but getting something matching the borders you need may
require a bit of googling (usually looking for a vector representation).

Does anybody have recommended websites for current European national
border data (preferably in a format we can read)?

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no