[R-sig-Geo] how to read CRU climatic data files with R?

antonio rodriguez antonio.raju at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 10:34:22 CEST 2006

Nicolas Degallier wrote:
> Hi R helpers,
>
> I have downloaded time series of climatic data from CRU (Climatic
> Research Unit) which are ASCII files with a specific format for the
> data.
> The format is described here:
>
> http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/~timm/grid/CRU_TS_2_1.html
>
> under the link "file format".
>
> I would like to know if somebody has already written some script in R
> to open and manage these data, for example for selecting only
> portions of the time series and/or pieces of the spatial grid?

Hi Nicolas,

You will find in that page, below Data structure section, a link to
'software'. There you will find a package 'CRU2nc.tgz' which converts
your ASCII data to 'netCDF' format. Then you can use any of the netCDF
libraries available in R: ncdf,ncvar, RNetCDF, and the old netCDF.

I've found, at least for me, before to enter the data in R, to
manipulate them with Ferret (http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/)
(subsetting regions and time intervals, etc.)

Hope this helps,

Antonio

> Cheers,
>
> Nicolas Degallier
>
> UMR 7159 / IRD UR182
> Laboratoire d'Océanographie et du Climat, Expérimentation et
> Approches Numériques (LOCEAN)
> Tour 45-55, 4e ét., case 100, 4 place Jussieu
> 75252  Paris Cedex 5  France
>
> tél: (33) 01 44 27 51 57
> fax: (33) 01 44 27 38 05
> E-mail: <Nicolas.Degallier at ird.fr>
>
> Publications (anonymous ftp):
>
> ftp://ftp.lodyc.jussieu.fr/LOCEAN/ndelod

=====
Por favor, si me mandas correos con copia a varias personas,
pon mi dirección de correo en copia oculta (CCO), para evitar
que acabe en montones de sitios, eliminando mi privacidad,
favoreciendo la propagación de virus y la proliferación del SPAM. Gracias.
-----
If you send me e-mail which has also been sent to several other people,
kindly mark my address as blind-carbon-copy (or BCC), to avoid its
distribution, which affects my privacy, increases the likelihood of
spreading viruses, and leads to more SPAM. Thanks.
=====