[R-sig-Geo] rgdal installation problem on Linux SuSe10.0

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jun 12 09:09:47 CEST 2006

Hello Karl,

I've just posted instructions on how to pass configure options into the
INSTALL process:

http://www.sal.uiuc.edu/tools/tools-sum/rgeo/rgeo-detail/map-packages-on-cran

under rgdal - look for paragraph about OSX, the same will apply to all
INSTALL from the source package. I'm CC-ing this reply to R-sig-geo for
the record. The next release of rgdal will include the new configure
script, but can't be released just yet.

Roger

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Karl Sommer & Meryl Hale wrote:

> Hello Roger Bivand
>
> I am addressing this email directly to you rather than going through the
> r-geo list.
>
> Over the weekend I wanted to test your latest suggestion regarding the
> GridTopology command on my home computer.  I am running R on a Linux SuSe
> 10.0 system at home and so far had not installed the rgdal libraries. (At
> work I am running R under Windows 2000).
>
> I downloaded the latest rgdal_0.4-4.tar.gz file and proceeded to install it
> as follows:
>
> install.packages("rgdal_0.4-4.tar.gz","usr/lib/R/library",repos=NULL)
> * Installing *source* package 'rgdal' ...
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking for pj_init_plus in -lproj... no
> checking for egrep... grep -E
> checking for ANSI C header files... yes
> checking for sys/types.h... yes
> checking for sys/stat.h... yes
> checking for stdlib.h... yes
> checking for string.h... yes
> checking for memory.h... yes
> checking for strings.h... yes
> checking for inttypes.h... yes
> checking for stdint.h... yes
> checking for unistd.h... yes
> checking proj_api.h usability... no
> checking proj_api.h presence... no
> checking for proj_api.h... no
> libproj.a and proj_api.h not found in standard search locations,
> edit src/Makevars manually, adding -I<directory with proj_api.h>
> to PKG_CPPFLAGS = , and -L<directory with libproj.a> to PKG_LIBS =
> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rgdal'
> ** Removing '/usr/lib/R/library/usr/lib/R/library/rgdal'
> Warning message:
> installation of package 'rgdal_0.4-4.tar.gz' had non-zero exit status in:
> install.packages("rgdal_0.4-4.tar.gz", "usr/lib/R/library", repos = NULL)
> >

> After searching the r-geo mailing lists I found that someone has recently
> (Thomas Adams, 23 May) encountered a similar problem and you had advised
> that you would contact him directly rather than through the list because the
> problem was rather specific.
>
> I believe the above errors are almost identical to the problem referred to
> in the list.
>
> I have installed FWTool-1.0.0b2 and have located the proj_api.h in its
> /include subdirectory but haven't been able to locate "libproj.a".  At the
> moment I don't know how to progress and therefore would be most grateful for
> your advice.

PS. Consider installing PROJ.4 from source in addition in order to build
libproj.a, it may not be built in FWTools.

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no