[R-sig-Geo] Computing polygon area with decimal degree coordinates

White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov
Fri Jun 2 18:33:16 CEST 2006

Computing area on the spheroid:
Kimerling AJ. 1984. Area computation from geodetic coordinates on the
spheroid. Surveying and Mapping 44(4):343-351.

Measuring distortion:
Many cartography texts cover this.  Analytical formulas for computing
distortion were developed by Tissot in the 19th century.  A recent paper
using Tissot measures in a sampling framework is available at:
  http://www.epa.gov/wed/pages/staff/white/cagis.95.pdf

Kimerling AJ, Overton WS, White D. 1995. Statistical comparison of map
projection distortions within irregular areas. Cartography and
Geographic Information Systems 22(3):205-221.

Denis