[R-sig-Geo] distance calculation; meuse.grid

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jul 3 15:40:54 CEST 2006

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006, Adrian Baddeley wrote:

> karl.sommer at dpi.vic.gov.au writes:
>
> > I was wondering if there is a way in "R" or "sp" to calculate shortest
> > distance from a given object such as a river, similar to the data example
> > "meuse.grid"  under the gstat package.
>
> In package 'spatstat' there is a function distmap()
> designed for this purpose.

Excellent! I'll add suitable functions to the sourceforge repository
spspatstat package to interface sp classes to this solution, probably
within a month. The as.mask() arguments can be derived from a SpatialGrid
GridTopology slot, so this will help more people. Visiting

http://www.spatstat.org/

is always instructive!